Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Singing Librarian Books' Interview with me ;)

You can click on Singing Librarian Books to see the full interview with pictures, or you can read below. Thanks Sydney!!!

1. How did you get started as an author? What or whom inspired you?
It’s cliché to say I’ve written since I was young, but it’s true. My first muse was writing ‘I Dream of Genie’ plays. My mom saved dozens of them in my scrapbook. I think many authors have the desire to write when they are young. It’s almost something we’re born with. When I got to be an adult, I was inspired again after reading Stephenie Meyers’ books and also Marcia Lynn McClure’s. Both of these authors made me love reading again (after enduring boring years in college and being forced to read what was on the syllabus in my classes) which in turn got me excited to write again. It’s lots more fun to read and write things you want to.

2. How many books have you written and in what genres?
Finding Sleeping Beauty is my 2nd book published, and is the 2nd book in The Princess Chronicles. My first one is I’m Not Cinderella. I have two other books I have written before the Princess Chronicles books, but they have never been published. All have been YA Fiction.

3. What writing projects are you currently working on? What can you tell us about these projects?
After Finding Sleeping Beauty, I want to explore the story of Snow White and Rapunzel. In my outline, they are cousins who both are in need of somewhere to hide, which leads to them finding a magic door to Idaho (similar to the first two books in The Princess Chronicles).

4. What does your writing process look like?
First, I spend a good portion of time outlining my story. I even write down ideas of how I want each chapter to begin and end. Of course, the story evolves once I begin writing, but it sticks closely to the outline which is why I brainstorm so much before I start to write. Then, I write from page 1 to the end. I don’t like to skip around; I like to write straight through.

5. Where is your favorite place to write?
I write in different places, depending if I’m writing during the day where I’m interacting with my family or if I’m writing at night when everyone has gone to bed. My favorite place to write is on my rocking chair in the family room near the fireplace. It’s a central location to keep tabs on my kids, and in the winter I’m grateful for the heat.

6. How important are the names in your novels? How do you choose names for your characters? Do you have any name resources you would suggest?
My names are closely related to fairy tale names since I write about princess books, but I also choose modern names for the new characters. I like to look up the meanings of names on babynames.com. For example, Channing is the last name of the royal family in my books and it means snow. Therefore, I incorporated the symbol of a snowflake to things related to the royal family.

7. What authors/novels that you enjoy would you recommend?
Anything by Marcia Lynn McClure. Love Jenny B. Jones & Jenni James – 2 different authors but both amazing writers. Deeanne Gist is another great author.

8. Where is your favorite place to read and why?
I read everywhere. I like to use my kindle on my phone, so if my kids are watching a movie I can read a little bit on my phone. Technology is so convenient.

9. What period of history interests you the most?
Anything historical. Especially Jane Austen period. Mr. Darcy…swoon. Ladies, am I right?

10. If you could choose someone famous to star in one of your books made to a movie, who would you choose and for which character?
​​Peyton List would be a perfect Sleeping Beauty.
Picture
​Lucas Adams would be her love interest, Nate (but picture him with brown hair).
Picture

11. What inspired the idea for I’m Not Cinderella? Finding Sleeping Beauty?
I’ve always loved fairy tales…and wished I could be in them. What better way than to write one…or two. That way I could be in the stories and manipulate them any way I could. I’ve always been told to write what you love, and I love fairytales.

12. What other hobbies do you enjoy when you are not writing?
I like to bake, but I’m not very good…but I still like to do it because I love to eat the batter, and I like to read cookbooks. I love to play the piano. I teach preschool twice a week and love it. I like to travel around the world with my hubby. But I especially love to spend time with my family, doing anything. I’ve always wanted to be a mother, and it’s the best blessing ever!

No comments: