Wednesday, January 23, 2013

For all 'Austen' lovers


Loved every word of this book. Jenni James has not disappointed with this fun, modern retelling of one of Jane Austen's most loveable classics, 'Emma'. The author writes with such candor and whit; I felt as if I was in high school again experiencing everything the main character was feeling. I could feel the despair that was portrayed in the book, and I could feel the anticipation of what high school brings. The author did a great job capturing all of those emotions.

'Emma' has always been one of my favorite Jane Austen novels. Emma is such a sweet character to love, because she is normal and makes mistakes like every young person would do. I love all of the adaptations Hollywood has made along with this example of a storyline. Of course, it was similar to the movie 'Clueless', because that is what is about...a rich, spoiled girl who finds her true self along the path of mistakes and unselfishness. Gotta love it.

The only thing I kept waiting for was Emmalee's friend, Hannah, to crush on Chase. I anticipated it and felt a little sad when that pivotal moment that helped support Emmalee's realization of her own true feelings for Chase were discovered. Other than that, the story was apple for apple along the lines of Jane Austen's book, 'Emma'.

No comments: